Simple Veggie Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce
Recipe by Marge Wurgel, member of the Plant-Powered Earth Holder Sangha
Makes 4 servings; prep time: 15 minutes; cooking time: 8 minutes
Prepare all vegetables and measure all ingredients before you start cooking, as the stir-frying happens quickly. If you are really in a hurry, you can stir-fry the main ingredients and at the end just add soy sauce or salt instead of making the sauce, or use a purchased sauce and add just before cooking has completed.
Other vegetables that work very well in stir fry dishes include: green or yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, bok choy, cauliflower, and celery.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce OR gluten-free tamari
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar of your choice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup water or veggie broth (have some extra on hand)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 cup diagonally sliced carrots, less than 1/4 inch thick 1 large red bell pepper
- 3-4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 (16-oz) package extra firm tofu cut into small cubes OR 1 15-ounce can (or 1 ½ cups) of your favorite beans, drained
1. Combine the sauce ingredients, mix well, and set aside. 2. Heat the water/veggie broth in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add veggies and garlic and stir-fry for about 6 minutes or until just crisp-tender (adding extra water/broth, if needed). 3. Add in the tofu cubes or beans. 4. Add the sauce and continue cooking, while stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
Plant-Powered Earth Holders are members of the Earth Holder Sangha who offer support to those who wish to explore, and perhaps move toward, a compassionate, more plant-centered diet. We invite you to learn how to choose and prepare food that supports your commitment to a compassionate world. This way of eating cares well for the planet, for our animal brothers and sisters, and for our health. To learn more recipes from the Plant Powered Sangha, visit https://earthholder.org/nourish/